Dimanche du Jugement Dernier
| Cet article (ou bien des fragments) est proposé pour être traduit en français!
Si vous désirez assumer la traduction (partiellement ou intégralement), annoncez svp cela dans la page de discussions de l'article.
The Sunday of the Last Judgment or Meatfare Sunday is the third Sunday using the Lenten Triodion, the liturgical book used in the services of Great Lent. It is the Sunday after the Sunday of the Prodigal Son and Sunday before Forgiveness Sunday. This is the third week of the pre-Lenten start of the Easter cycle of worship in the Orthodox Church.
This Sunday is called Meatfare Sunday since it is traditionally the last day before Easter for eating meat. Orthodox Christians observe a fast from meat all week, but still eat dairy products and eggs till the start of Great Lent.
The Gospel reading this Sunday remembers Christ's parable of the Last Judgment (Matthew 25:31-46). This adds to the previous pre-Lent Sundays and teaches that it is not enough to see Jesus, to see ourselves as we are, and to come home to God as his prodigal sons. The Church teaches that, in addition, one must also be God’s sons by following Christ, his only-begotten divine Son, and by seeing Christ in everyone and by serving Christ through them.
Salvation and final judgment will depend upon deeds, not merely on intentions or even on the mercies of God apart from personal cooperation and obedience. All piety and prayer is ultimately directed towards the goal of serving Christ through his people.
From the reading, the faithful hear:
- … for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you took me in, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and in prison and you visited me. …. For truly I say to you, if you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me (Matthew 25 ).
Kondakion (Ton 1)
- Lorsque Tu viendras, Dieu, dans la gloire sur la terre et que tremblera l'univers
- un fleuve de feu emportera tout devant le Trône
- les livres seront ouverts et les secrets seront révélés
- Alors délivre moi du feu qui ne s'éteint pas
- et donne moi d'être à ta droite, très juste Juge.
- Sous les reproches de ma conscience je tremble et je crains, me rappelant ton terrible tribunal et le jour du Jugement, Seigneur très bon, quand Tu viendras siéger sur ton Trône et nous sonder. Alors nul ne pourra nier ses fautes. La vérité dénoncera et la peur étreindra. Alors grondera le grand feu de l'enfer et les pécheurs frémiront. Aie pitié de moi avant la fin, pardonne-moi, très juste Juge.