Kallistos (Ware) de Diokleia
| Cet article (ou bien des fragments) est proposé pour être traduit en français!
Si vous désirez assumer la traduction (partiellement ou intégralement), annoncez svp cela dans la page de discussions de l'article.
Son Excellence, le Très Révérend Métropolite Kallistos (Ware) de Diokleia (né en 1934, de son nom laïc Timothy Ware) est évêque honoraire métropolite honoraire du Patriarcat Oecuménique en Grande Bretagne. De 1966-2001, il a été Lecteur en études orthodoxes orientales à l 'université d'Oxford, il est l'auteur de nombreux ouvrages et articles sur la foi foi chrétienne orthodoxe.
Born Timothy Ware in Bath, Somerset, England, Metropolitan Kallistos was educated at Westminster School (to which he had won a scholarship) and Magdalen College, Oxford, where he took a Double First in Classics as well as reading Theology. In 1958, at the age of 24, he embraced the Orthodox Christian faith (having been raised Anglican), traveling subsequently throughout Greece, spending a great deal of time at the Monastery of St. John the Theologian in Patmos. He also frequented other major centers of Orthodoxy such as Jerusalem and Mount Athos. In 1966, he was ordained to the priesthood and was tonsured as a monk, receiving the name Kallistos.
In the same year, he became a lecturer at Oxford, teaching Eastern Orthodox Studies, a position which he held for 35 years until his retirement. In 1979, he was appointed to a Fellowship at Pembroke College, Oxford, and in 1982, he was consecrated to the episcopacy as a titular bishop with the title Bishop of Diokleia, appointed to serve as the assistant to the bishop of the Ecumenical Patriarchate's Orthodox Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain. Despite his elevation, Kallistos remained in Oxford and carried on his duties both as the parish priest of the Oxford Greek Orthodox community and as a lecturer at the University.
Since his retirement in 2001, Kallistos has continued to publish and to give lectures on Orthodox Christianity, traveling widely. Until recently, he was the chairman of the board of directors of the Institute for Orthodox Christian Studies in Cambridge. He is the chairman of the group Friends of Orthodoxy on Iona. He serves on the advisory board of the Orthodox Peace Fellowship.
On March 30, 2007, the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate elevated the Diocese of Diokleia to Metropolis and Bishop Kallistos to Titular Metropolitan of Diokleia.
Metr. Kallistos is perhaps best known as the author of the book The Orthodox Church, published when he was a layman in 1963 and subsequently revised several times. More recently, he produced a companion volume, The Orthodox Way. But his most substantial publications have emerged from his translation work. Together with G. E. Palmer and Philip Sherrard), he has undertaken to translate the Philokalia (four volumes of five published to date); and with Mother Mary he produced English translations of the Lenten Triodion and Festal Menaion.
- Bibliographie partielle :
- The Orthodox Church, 2nd ed. (Pelican, 1993 ISBN 0140146563)
- The Orthodox Way (St Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1995, ISBN 0913836583)
- The Inner Kingdom: Collected Works, Vol. 1 (St Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2000, ISBN 0881412090)
- In the Image of the Trinity: Collected Works, Vol. 2 (St Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2006, ISBN 0881412252)
- Communion and Intercommunion (Light & Life, 1980, ISBN 0937032204)
- How Are We Saved?: The Understanding of Salvation in the Orthodox Tradition (Light & Life, 1996, ISBN 1880971224)
- Praying with Orthodox Tradition (Abingdon, 1990, ISBN 0281044317)
- Eustratios Argenti: A Study of the Greek Church under Turkish Rule (Clarendon, 1964, ASIN B0006BMI94)
He has also co-authored, edited, and translated other works.
- Biographical page from the Ecumenical Patriarchate
- Excerpts from the Orthodox Church by Bishop Kallistos Ware - Part I: History
- Excerpts from the Orthodox Church by Bishop Kallistos Ware - Part II: Faith and Worship
- Interview with Bishop Kallistos (RealVideo)
- Bishop Kallistos on Unity (Windows Media Video)
- Bishop Kallistos on Sacraments of Healing (talks given by him at a retreat for members of the Catholic Peace Fellowship)